There is more then one way to donate hair. Locks Of Love is the most well named one out there. However if you are older (Like me) and have grey in your hair (Did I just say that?) there are ways to donate, even going as far as accepting semi-permanently dyed hair (Though virgin hair is preferred) Here is a website you can checkout if you're intrested no matter what age you are..... www.wigsforkids.com <-Don't let the name turn you off, there's options for us gals to.
To be made into a wig, your hair must be:
- At least 8 inches long (no maximum length)
- If you have wavy or curly hair, measure when straight
- Free of permanent color, bleach or other chemical treatments such as Japanese straightening
- Vegetable dyes, semi-permanent dyes and rinses are acceptable, but “virgin” hair is preferred
- No more than 5% gray
Now for my little one:
GUIDELINES FOR ACCEPTABLE DONATIONS
- Hair that is colored or permed is acceptable.
- Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that has been bleached (usually this refers to highlighted hair) is not usable. If unsure, ask your stylist. We are not able to accept bleached hair due to a chemical reaction that occurs during the manufacturing process. **If the hair was bleached years ago and has completely grown out it is fine to donate.
- Hair that is swept off of the floor is not usable because it is not bundled in a ponytail or braid.
- Hair that is shaved off and not in a ponytail or braid is not usable. If shaving your head, first divide hair into multiple ponytails to cut off.
- We cannot accept dreadlocks. Our manufacturer is not able to use them in our children’s hairpieces. We also cannot accept wigs, falls, hair extensions or synthetic hair.
- Layered hair is acceptable if the longest layer is 10 inches.
- Layered hair may be divided into multiple ponytails.
- Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 10 inches.
- 10 inches measured tip to tip is the minimum length needed for a hairpiece
In the meantime we will keep you up-to-date with our hair situations...Please take a looksy at the pictures and how we are progressing :)
So for now we will play with our long hair until we let it go for someone who will love it as much as us.